This Study will follow the streamlined assessment process as set out in Ontario Regulation 697/21. This will allow MTO to move the project forward in an environmentally responsible way. The Project Team will carry forward previous environmental commitments made during the 2002 Route Planning and Environmental Assessment Study as set out in the regulation, and the Simcoe County Road 4 Widening Environmental Assessment study as applicable. Alternatives within the project Study Area will be generated and evaluated based on technical and environmental factors, and in consultation with Indigenous communities, public stakeholders, municipalities, and government agencies.
As part of the project-specific assessment of environmental impacts as identified in Ontario Regulation 697/21, an Environmental Conditions Report (ECR) will be prepared to document the:
- update to the description of the environmental conditions from the Bradford Bypass 2002 EA;
- description of all studies undertaken in relation to updating the environmental conditions in the Study Area;
- identification and description of any changes to the technically preferred route, as identified in the 2002 EA, as a result of changes to the environmental conditions; and,
- consultation record with Indigenous communities, regulatory agencies and interested stakeholders, etc.
An Environmental Impact Assessment Report (EIAR) will also be prepared to document the:
- description of environmental conditions within the Bradford Bypass Corridor;
- description of all studies undertaken;
- assessment and evaluation of preliminary design alternatives;
- description of any measures proposed to mitigate any negative impacts that the preliminary design alternatives may have on the environment and the criteria for assessment and evaluation of those impacts;
- description of the methods to monitor the effectiveness of the mitigation measures proposed;
- description of any municipal, provincial, federal or other approvals or permits that may be required; and,
- consultation record with Indigenous communities, regulatory agencies and interested stakeholders etc.
For work to be completed at County Road 4, a separate Early Works Report has been prepared.
No federal lands/properties will be impacted by the Study and therefore does not trigger the Impact Assessment Act (2019). The Project Team will keep apprised of any changes to provincial and federal legislation as the Study progresses.
Impact Assessment Act (IAA) Federal EA Process
Bradford Bypass Project Team’s Response to the IAAC Designation Request
Click on each title below to download the documents:
May 3, 2021 — The Minister of Environment and Climate Change has determined that the Bradford Bypass Project proposed by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation does not warrant designation under the Impact Assessment Act. The reasons for the Minister’s determination are provided in his response. For more information, visit Canadian Impact Assessment Registry for the Bradford Bypass Project to learn more about the evaluation of the project.
For more information on the Federal EA process under the Impact Assessment Agency of Canada (IAAC), please see the following links:
Design Study Process for Bradford Bypass
Previous Studies and Design Stages
- Bradford Bypass 1997 Route Planning Study – Complete (Approved 2002)
- Bradford Bypass Environmental Study Updates and Initiate Permission to Enter – 2019-2020 – Complete
- Highway 400 Planning and Preliminary Design Study from the South Canal Bridge to 1.0 km South of Highway 89 (November 2003)
Current Studies and Design Stages
- Preliminary Design
- Permission to Enter, Project Notification and Study Initiation
- Field Investigations and Data Collection (Ongoing)
- Evaluation of Alternatives (Ongoing)
- Public Information Centre 1 (Completed)
- Final Early Works Report for County Road 4
- Consultation Event: Preliminary Design Interchange Considerations for 10th Sideroad and 2nd Concession Road (April 21, 2022 to May 5, 2022)
- Draft and Final Environmental Conditions Report (ECR) for Bradford Bypass Project
- Selection of Preferred Alternative for the Bradford Bypass Project
- Public Information Centre 2 (Fall 2022)
- Draft and Final Environmental Impact Assessment Report (EIAR) for Bradford Bypass Project
Future Design Stages
- Detail Design for County Road 4
- Construction for County Road 4 (2022)
- Detailed Design for Bradford Bypass Project